History of the Cherry Street Inn...
Edward N. Dodson, a prominent steamboat captain on the Chesapeake Bay and resident of St. Michaels during the latter half of the 19th century, built our Victorian home in the 1880 timeframe. Recent downstairs renovations revealed remnants of a second foundation, indicating that another, but older structure once occupied the same spot where the current house stands. This fact, combined with the knowledge that Frederick Douglass moved to St. Michaels as a teen-age slave in 1833 and lived in a house described as being located next to one of the corner houses at the intersection of Talbot and Cherry Street, has us searching for more clues to determine if 103 Cherry Street is truly one of the more significant historic locations in St. Michaels.
The interior of the house retains much of its original integrity, from the door casings and moldings to its wide plank yellow pine flooring in the front downstairs and upstairs of the house. The exterior also retains the majority of its original old glass windows, decorative eave brackets and German siding in the traditional Victorian style. Both the bay window on the front facade and the two-story, three-sided pavilion on the west elevation add variety to this common Victorian house form.
We have made some renovations and other changes to both the interior of the house and outside gardens to highlight and accentuate the original Victorian features of the home. The exterior of the house was recently painted a “Belgian Waffle” yellow to further enhance its warmth and charm. A Victorian style fountain has been recently added to the outside gardens.
Send e-mail to email@example.com with questions or comments about this web site.
Last Updated: April 6, 2009
Copyright © The Cherry Street Inn